Reciprocal Enforcement of Foreign Judgements Act
- Commenced on 5 July 1935
- [This is the version of this document at 30 November 2019.]
Part I – Preliminary provisions
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Reciprocal Enforcement of Foreign Judgements Act.
Part II – Registration of foreign judgements
3. Power to extend this Part to foreign countries giving reciprocal treatment
4. Application for, and effect of, registration of foreign judgements
5. Power to make rules of court
6. Cases in which registered judgements must, or may, be set aside
7. Powers of registering court on application to set aside registration
8. Foreign judgements which can be registered not to be enforceable otherwiseNo proceedings for the recovery of a sum payable under a foreign judgement, being a judgement to which this Part applies, other than proceedings by way of registration of the judgement, shall be entertained by any court in Mainland Tanzania.
9. OmittedOmitted.[R.L. Cap. 356]
Part III – Miscellaneous and general provisions
10. General effect of certain foreign judgements
11. Power to make foreign judgements unenforceable in Tanzania if no reciprocity
12. Issue of certificates of judgements obtained in Mainland TanzaniaWhere a judgement under which a sum of money is payable, not being a sum payable in respect of taxes or other charges of a like nature or in respect of a fine or other penalty, has been entered in the High Court against any person and the judgement creditor is desirous of enforcing the judgement in a country to which Part II applies, the court shall, on an application made by the judgement creditor and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed, issue to the judgement creditor a certified copy of the judgement together with a certificate containing such particulars with respect to the action, including the causes of action, and the rate of interest, if any, payable on the sum payable under the judgement, as may be prescribed:Provided that, where execution of a judgement is stayed for any period pending an appeal or for any other reason, an application shall not be made under this section with respect to the judgement until the expiry of that period.
History of this document
30 November 2019 this version
05 July 1935